04 April 2017 - 05 April 2017
Knowing how to communicate effectively through writing is essential for anybody who wants to progress in today’s competitive business environment. Business Writing for Professionals is a valuable tool that will help you meet that challenge. This program is divided into FOUR modules, each outlining key requirements for good writing: clear and concise style, knowledge of grammar and structure, appropriate formats for various forms of business writing and basic fundamentals of business communication.
Business Writing for Professionals also equips participants of Basic/Intermediate Proficiency Level with skills in projecting the right image, choosing the kind of language best suited to the reader, and writing succinct weekly write-ups, and e-mail messages.
Upon completion of this program, participants like you, should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
• ANALYSE authentic business situations in order to produce appropriate writing responses;
• ENHANCE your self-confidence to write various work documents in English;
• WRITE briefly and clearly so that the intelligent reader cannot possibly misunderstand your message;
• CHOOSE appropriate vocabulary to express meaning with precision;
• SELECT appropriate tenses to express timeframe accurately.
Module 1: Demystifying Grammar Rules
• Simple Present and Present Continuous
• Simple Past and Past Continuous
• Present Perfect
• Past Perfect
• Simple Future: will, going to, shall
Module 2: Minding your Word Choice, Punctuation & Spelling
• Spelling: American vs British English
• Standard English vs ‘Manglish’
• Vocabulary: choosing the right words to express the right meaning
• Coherence and Cohesion – Discourse markers and linkers
• Terminology and abbreviation
Module 3: Writing to Express, Not Impress
• Understanding common purposes of writing
• Overcoming problems in business and technical writing
• Pre-Writing Techniques: brainstorming for ideas
• The importance of Conciseness, Brevity and Accuracy in writing
• Parallelism in writing
Module 4: E-Mails
• Style and usage in reports (exercise and discussion)
• Plan of action for report writing
• Structuring the report
• Format and layout
• Using the Active Voice in e-mails
• Setting the Right Tone
• Dodging Conversational Pitfalls
• Watch Your Cyberlanguage
• Writing with TACT and diplomacy
• To use emoticons or not?
• Ending your e-mail professionally
• Reviewing Netiquette Guidelines
• Reviewing Sample E-mail Messages
This highly interactive program is geared towards providing opportunities to professionals like supervisors, team leaders, managers and engineers with special writing needs. There are 4 MODULES that are specifically chosen to introduce the basic skills required in business writing. Concentration will be put on these areas:
• Grammar of the English language;
• Knowing the Purpose of Writing and Choosing the Suitable Approach;
• Structuring, Organizing and Composing Sentences/Paragraphs;
• Writing effective E-mail Messages.
Although special emphasis is placed on written communication, focusing primarily on practicing language for business writing such as business/technical reports, and e-mails, a good mastery of grammar serves as the backbone of an effective writer. Hence, this program will focus a major part of its time on grammar so that the participants will be able to write confidently and clearly.
A Master holder in the Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL) from the University of Malaya, Selina Rogers, has been in the field of training for the past 21 years. She holds certificates in Power Writing and Effective Supervision from Arizona State University, USA.
Selina has had the privilege of designing management and softskill training programmes such as Influencing and Persuading, Presentation Skills, Technical Writing, Business Communication, Business English and Customer Service programmes for professionals in various industries. In fact, among the organisations that she has worked with are established manufacturing organisations such as Intel, Western Digital, Motorola, Altera, HGST, Flextronics, First Solar, Bosch, Infineon, Sanyo and many others. She believes that self-development and self-motivation among professionals in the manufacturing organisations are the first steps in achieving job satisfaction and self-fulfilment.
Besides having a rich experience in conducting management courses of varied levels to working adults in the manufacturing industries, Selina has had numerous opportunities in designing and conducting soft skills programmes in Customer Relationship. She has worked with representatives of Petron, Shell, CIMB, Swift, Hong Leong Bank and CELCOM in Kuala Lumpur; Perbadanan Bekalan Air (PBA), Gleneagles Medical Centre (GMC), Lam Wah Ee Hospital and Loh Guan Lye Specialists’ Centre in Penang, to name a few. Driven by her passion in customer service excellence, Selina is currently promoting customised programmes to various organisations that value Customer Satisfaction as their No.1 priority.
Selina has been conducting various ESP (English for Specific Purposes) programmes such as English for Hospitality and Tourism as well as Power Writing Tools for Business Purposes and Technical Writing in English. With her qualification in Effective Supervision, she also had the opportunity to conduct training on Supervisory Skills to staff of hotels such as Mutiara Beach Resort, Penang and The Andaman, Langkawi.
She has written textbooks for Undergraduates of Wawasan Open University and Open University Malaysia. She is also a teacher-trainer in several national. She has been a certified Examiner for the International English Language Tests (IELTS) since 2002. In 2008, Selina was promoted as certified Examiner Trainer of the IELTS. In 2012, she also became a Test Administrator for the Australian Education Assessment Services (AEAS). She recently became a certified NLP (Neurolinguistics Programming) Practitioner.
2 Days (9am – 5pm)
Program 100% Claimable under SBL Scheme
PSDC Members: RM 750/pax
Non-Members: RM 820/pax
All prices listed above are not inclusive of GST
* Training dates are subject to change